Join us for our Family Cleanup Day on April 2nd 9am – 1pm at the Clark Boat and Recreation Area!
Spend the day with your family while protecting our environment! Lunch will be provided at the Tara. Come with your family, club, scout troop, organization, a group of friends, or come solo! All are welcome!
Please RSVP by March 29th! This helps ensure that we have enough food for our volunteers!
Sponsored by the Tara -A Country Inn, and Steve’s Teez
You can RSVP by contacting our office (724)342-5453; email@example.com
Our annual Public Meeting will be held on February 23rd at 7:00 pm at the Activities Building in Buhl Park (directly across from our office, by the South Forker Entrance).
We will be discussing the accomplishments of 2015, as well as what we hope to accomplish in 2016 as we celebrate our 15th Anniversary! Each committee will have a chance to speak and take questions from members, volunteers, and anyone who is interested. Our Research Committee will be discussing the results of the Fish Survey conducted on the Shenango River – Summer 2015. Volunteer opportunities will be announced, and sign ups will be available. All are welcome!
Shenango River Watchers, SRW, is an award-winning environmental organization. In 2016, we are excited to celebrate our 15th year as a 501(c)(3) non-profit group working to restore and protect the environmental, scenic, and recreational attributes of the Shenango River and its watershed. We invite you to learn more about our organization, our mission, projects and our people.
Some milestones during our first 15 years:
- Cleared the river and watershed communities of 1.3 million pounds of illegally dumped trash and properly disposed of 50,000 tires
- Recently received the 2014-2015 Distinguished Organization of the Year (Tri-County Clean Ways) and the 2013 Western Pennsylvania Environmental Award (Pennsylvania Environmental Council and Dominion)
- Received more than $200,000 in grant funding
- Provided nearly 1,800 5th grade students with outdoor, hands-on environmental education through our Environmental Education Days held in partnership with Buhl Park
- Awarded more than $8,000 in college scholarships through our Del Williams Memorial Scholarship
- Conducted research projects of varying sizes and collaborated with students and individuals from local colleges and universities and area high school students.
- Among our many recreation and community projects, both large and small:
The Upper Shenango River Water Trail
Sharon Bicentennial Park and Handicap Accessible Fishing Pier (on-going)
Buhl Park Get Outdoors Day, Hermitage, PA
Riverfront Park Revitalization; Sharon, PA
Riverside Park, Canoe Launch and Drive; Greenville, PA
Stabilization of the bank along the Rails-to-Trails project in Greenville
Storm Drain Stenciling Project; Sharon, PA
Budd Street Canoe Launch; Sharon PA
Bench Restoration, Outflow Area of Shenango Dam; Sharpsville, PA
February 14th – Buhl Park’s Winter Fest – Buhl Park, Hermitage, PA
February 23rd – SRW Public Meeting – 7pm Buhl Park Activities Building, Hermitage, PA
April 2nd – Family Cleanup – 9AM Clark Boat & Recreation Area, Clark, PA
April 9th – PSU Shenango Earth Fest – Penn State Shenango, Sharon, PA
April 23rd – Earth Day Cleanup – Location TBD
May 1st – Fly Casting Clinic with Ted Fauceglia – 2PM Buhl Park, Hermitage, PA
May 28th – Tire Recycling – 9AM Buhl Park, Hermitage, PA
June 11th – River Month Cleanup – Location TBD
June 25th – Spring Paddle Fest – Details to come!
August 13th – Lawrence County Cleanup – Location TBD
August 28th – SRW 15th Anniversary Picnic – Mercer County Shrine Club, Hermitage, PA
Fall Events Coming Soon!